Real Estate

Education Waivers

Applicants with an active real estate license in good standing from a state that does NOT have a reciprocity agreement with Utah may qualify for a waiver of some education and/or national exam requirements.

Waivers will not be granted if the license has expired or is not in good standing.

To qualify for an education/national exam waiver and obtain a Utah Sales Agent or Broker license, an individual must:

  1. Meet the statutory licensing qualifications of honesty, integrity, truthfulness, reputation, and competency. (Utah Code Annotated 61-2f)
    Note: According to Administrative Rules R162-2f-201, an applicant does not qualify for a real estate license if he or she has any felony in the last five years (starting from the time of conviction/plea or completion of any jail/prison sentence) OR if the applicant has any misdemeanor involving fraud, misrepresentation, theft, or dishonesty within the last three years.
  2. Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
  3. Have at minimum a High School diploma or its equivalent.
  4. Complete, sign and submit to the Division the Real Estate Education Waiver Request .
  5. Wait for the Education Waiver from the Division prior to taking any pre-license education and/or exam.
  6. Take any required pre-license education at a certified Pre-License Real Estate School.
  7. Take and pass either the Sales Agent exam (either both the state and national portions or only the state portion, as required).
  8. Submit to the Division:
    • Completed and signed application (issued at the testing center).
    • Signed original Education Waiver (issued by the Division).
    • Two fingerprint cards (Blue FD-258) and a signed Fingerprint Waiver  (issued at the testing center).
    • For Sales Agents, $157 non-refundable fee ($100 application fee, $12 recovery fund fee, $40 fingerprint processing fee and $5 rap back fee).
    • Completed Certification of Legal Presence 

Note: If the exam is taken at a location in Utah, fingerprints may be taken after the exam (however, an advance fingerprinting appointment is required. No walk-ins allowed.) If the test is taken outside of Utah, fingerprint cards can be obtained from the Division or a local police station.